1. There is no good or bad until you put a label on it as such. Making a bad grade in 5th grade might teach you a new study habit that changes the way you study and helps you learn faster. Having your heart broken gives you the opportunity to meet someone better suited for you. Losing a competition teaches strength and perseverance.
2. When you know better, you do better. That is a quote from Maya Angelou. It is so true. You may argue that your friend knew that stealing was wrong and still did it. But knowing the rule doesn’t mean you inherently get it. When your heart and spirit realize there is a better way, it will change. You have to understand it deep in your soul and consciousness. So when someone hurts you, realize they really don’t know better. Don’t let them continue to hurt you, but try to forgive them. Maybe hurting you will teach them that they don’t want to hurt people anymore. In the same way, don’t be too hard on yourself when you make a mistake. You made that mistake so you can learn from it. Forgive yourself, learn, move on.
3. Mistakes and failures are learning tools to love and success. You cannot live a truly dynamic life without both mistakes and failures. If you don’t have any failures, you’re not taking enough risks. “Failure’s pain subsides faster than the ache of regret.” (Anonymous) “The fastest way to succeed is to double your rate of failure.” Thomas Watson
4. You are in charge of your own happiness. Not your parents. Not your teachers. Not your friends. Knowing this brings true freedom. When you realize you can be happy in spite of disappointments, anger, and frustration, you take yourself out of a self-imposed prison. You can stop blaming people, circumstances, and things for making you unhappy. You can live in the present instead of putting off happiness until you achieve something, get something, become something. Happiness is for you to have anytime, anywhere you choose it.
5. Forgiving others is for you. Holding on to anger only hurts you. Let go of it and focus on other things. When you let anger go, you free yourself of those negative feelings. Realize that you have total control of the situation. By forgiving fully in your heart, spirit, and mind, you are able to release the hurt and pain. You free yourself. When you hold on to anger, you allow someone lese to control you and your happiness. “Forgiveness is the experience does not change the past, but it changes the present.” Frederic Loskin
6. Every day is a new day. Every day is a chance to start over. Change your story. Change your life. Don’t get bogged down in yesterday. It can’t be changed, but today is yours to do with as you choose. Be grateful for the opportunity. It can be as exciting as you make it. There are some circumstances that can’t be changed overnight. But you can still find things to be grateful for. Change the things you can. Pray for guidance on things you need help with. Relax. Know that you will be OK. God has a plan. Be patient.
7. Gratitude is the key to happiness. Happiness doesn’t just happen. You work for it. Don’t wait for it to just happen to you. Find all the things to be grateful for in you life. Your health, your family, food to eat, a nice bed to sleep in. There are so many things to choose from. Practice replacing negative thoughts with thoughts of gratitude. It takes practice and patience. Don’t be hard on yourself when you struggle with this. Keep practicing. You, and you alone, are in charge of your happiness. Take responsibility for it. Be grateful for everything you have. There are many people who would love to have what you have and be who you are. The more you practice being grateful, the easier it becomes to find things to be grateful for.
8. We are put on this earth to fulfill our purpose and calling. We are not here to work at an unfulfilling job just so we can pay the bills. We are not here to live a mediocre life. Sometimes it is hard to figure our what that purpose is. Think about the things you love to do, your hobbies, activities you love to do. What could you spend your day doing and not feel like it was work? Make it a priority to figure it out. If you are not sure, pick something you love to do and do more of it. Learn more about it. See if it fits your calling. If not, try something else. Keep trying. Never give up. If you go down the wrong path, take a new path. Every mistake is a learning experience. Keep putting yourself out there. You are capable of more than you can imagine.
9. You don’t have to be a victim. You can choose a life that is right for you or you can spend your life blaming circumstances, people, and misfortunes for why your life isn’t what you want it to be. Choose to take ownership of your life. Spend your time enjoying your life-flaws and all. Fix what needs fixing. Love the rest. Don’t play the blame game. There is no benefit to blaming things or people outside of yourself. Yes, someone may have done you wrong. Yes, misfortunes occur that can change your trajectory. But blaming those things and becoming a victim in the story you tell yourself will only make you feel helpless and angry. Accept what is. Learn what you can from it. There is a lesson in every experience. Make your own happiness.
10. Have faith. Know that God has a plan for you. You may be sad and feel like you are in a hopeless situation. You are not. Keep getting up and keep trying. Believe that great things are in store for you. They are. Take time to visualize everything you want in life. What would it look like? Feel like? Imagine every detail and imagine it often. Don’t give up. You may have many times of doubt, but stay the course. Have faith that it will all work out. Because it will. I have faith in you. The Universe has faith in you. God has faith in you. The desires you have in your heart are put there for a reason. God wouldn’t put them in your heart if you could not fulfill them. Dream big. Visualize a lot. And have faith. You are stronger than you can imagine.